LiteraryHype
Literary Hype Internet

I remember every broken heart



XXXI Days of Poetry - Day the Eleventh




I remember every broken heart



I
All that remains are questions you can't answer 
All I have left are hurts you cannot mend
I thought seeing you again could be a new beginning
But it's just one step closer to the end




II
Your scent lingers in the air,
Refusing to fade into the stone. 
Your memory lingers in my mind, 
Pierces skin; cuts me to the bone.




III
I remember 
every broken heart. 
I move on, eventually, 
but I never heal. 
I get by by not 
thinking about it, 
but when I do the 
pain is still fresh, 
not a memory, but a 
living pulsing wound, 
present-tense. 
I remember 
every broken heart 
because I have only one, 
that gets broken 
again. 
and again. 
and again. 




IV
Finally gave over; 
quit trying to run 
from the thoughts. 
They're not going away
anyway, so why hide?  
The percussion of great 
silence spreads out in 
a wave from my mind. 
The force of quiet is 
deafening, violent and 
blue. There is nowhere 
to hide from a wave. 
There is no way to hide
from a wave. This is 
the way of the Universe 
and all things in it. The 
force of unrelenting despair. 
  




















XXXI Days of Poetry (2016)


Read more Poetry, including previous year's "31 Days"





[ART - "The Cave of Despair" by Benjamin West (1738-1820)]







Return to Literary Hype Home Page
Go to Hyperion Empire Home Page

No comments:

 

Y I B

Literary Hype is the dream-child of Hyperion, who may or may not be completely insane. We offer original stories, Poetry, Books Reviews, Music Lyrics Analysis and more. (We even have Adult Fiction on a sister site: After Dark Tales.) We hope you find what you are looking for!