LiteraryHype
Literary Hype Internet

Floor Monsters

  

Don't want to alarm you,
Or cause you undue fright;
Don't want you waking terrified and
Screaming in the night.
But there are some hard truths of which
You need to be aware:
It's time you learned the secret world
That's going on down there.


Sorry to be the one
To break this awful news. 
(And I understand if
Your urge is to gulp booze.)
There's no easy way
To speak the awful truth;
But I will do my best
To handle it with 'couth. 


Down below your bed
(and couch and dresser too), 
Exists a secret clan; 
Half-feral and half-schmoo.
While staying out of sight, 
At night they have their run.
These creatures of the Steppe;
(yes, that was an awful pun).


I wish I could do more, 
To put your mind at ease;
To gently calm your nerves, 
And steady your weak knees.
But Floor Monsters exist, 
Whether you believe or not.
So now that you've been warned, 
Try hard to not get caught!



floormonster



[I call this my "channeling Shel Silverstein, if he was really tired and had just been in a three-car accident.  Seriously, he makes it look so easy.  In my defense, I suck. I swear I didn't make the connection (in my own mind) between the poem and the picture until I looked for it, and suddenly I realized what the poem is really about.]


Return to Literary Hype Home Page

Go to Hyperion Empire Home Page

1 comment:

jadriana said...

Awesome. :)

 

Y I B

Literary Hype is the dream-child of Hyperion, who may or may not be completely insane. We offer original stories, Poetry, Books Reviews, Music Lyrics Analysis and more. (We even have Adult Fiction on a sister site: After Dark Tales.) We hope you find what you are looking for!