LiteraryHype
Literary Hype Internet

Majere

Majere



We’re in the confessional. Keep your head down so they don’t see you! That woman over there? The one with the blond hair, pretty? She’s in love with a man who is not her husband. The man with the red beard? He’s an opiate user. His fabric trade is failing because of it. People and the confessions they make.

Want to know a secret? The confessional is not anonymous.

Ah, the things you learn when you’re dead.

I don’t have time to dwell on the people here. My murder hearing is being conducted. Follow me. We must hurry or we will miss the first witness. At least I hope we see the first witness.

Don’t worry. We’ll hear all the stories, but often I find time distorted in death. I never know if I am viewing the past or the present. All the facts will sort themselves out though.

The bishops are telling their versions of how my death happened. Should be entertaining. My father, not just a father, my father is hearing the evidence. Get it?

Valetti is my father and a bishop.

Don’t just stand there. We must hurry.

Ah, here we are. Looks like they have already started. Is that Beddleton? He’s already talking to dear old dad. Damn it. I can’t hear them. Can you? No? I can’t hear you either.

Since you can hear me I will tell you about my death. It wasn’t pretty. Well Crynne was very pretty. Luscious really. She and I have an understanding. We trade things. Secrets sometimes. Sex and money other times.

She came and saw me that night. A wonderful surprise. When I heard the knock, I thought it was one of the bishops. I hid in the shadows and put a bag over Crynne’s face when she walked. Poor woman fainted. Too bad. I had other things in mind when I saw it was her.

I was placing Crynne in my bed when I heard the door open. I barely turned around when I saw the knife ascending into my chest. I remember the look of rage on my murderer’s face and a strange calm descend on me.

I wasn’t really surprised. Jealousy runs rampant in the church, and I am a power in this church. Valetti should have been proud I followed in his footsteps. Not that he was.

Ah yes. Valetti was listening to Beddleton. Poor Beddleton thinks I care about his affair with Aldoux. I caught them together in the vestibule. Affairs like Beddleton’s rendezvous are quite common whether it is a man or woman. I could care less. There are other secrets worth much more.

Janiff is talking to Valetti now. Or did this already happen? Beddleton must have finished while we were discussing my death. Janiff would have nothing to say except congratulations that my father’s secret is finally taken care of.

Twiddling my thumbs. This is boring. I can’t hear what is being said.

Oh good, Janiff is leaving. Both he and Valetti look angry. Interesting.

Aldoux. There’s a sordid tale.

y’Nobe. I wish I could hear the conversation taking place What a bastard. I hate the sight of him. I know his secret and he knows I know.

y’Nobe is the only one I could not get to.

Why can’t I hear what he’s saying?

What are you signaling? I can’t hear you either.

Ah. You want to know who killed me?

They all did.

Or maybe none of them.

Some secrets you take with you.

I see now the Light has come.

Forgive me Father.

No comments:

 

Y I B

Literary Hype is the dream-child of Hyperion, who may or may not be completely insane. We offer original stories, Poetry, Books Reviews, Music Lyrics Analysis and more. (We even have Adult Fiction on a sister site: After Dark Tales.) We hope you find what you are looking for!