LiteraryHype
Literary Hype Internet

Owly

{This column was originally in the Hyperion Chronicles, brought over to our book review section}


The Hyperion Chronicles
“No Rights. Just Rules”


#382 Owly


Owly: The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer
By Andy Runton
157 pages

When I first got the package I was deeply suspicious. It had my name, including a last name that only I use, and of course the address was correct. (Or how could it have arrived?) I was extremely paranoid. Had they found me? Would I have to run again? I didn’t want to run. 24 was coming on in three hours.

I refused to open the package for days. I stared at it, poked it with my fat bat. Shook it a little. I felt like a cross between a kid at Christmas and a guy working for the bomb squad. Nothing ticked, no white powder, but still……

Finally, after several days, I opened the package. ‘Twas a book called “Owly: The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer.” The author was Andy Runton; never heard of him. There was an owl on the cover. He looked cute.

That’s all I found out for a few more days, as I still refused to open the book. I just couldn’t figure out who it was from. My birthday was over 2 months ago, and while I certainly deserve presents from the Hyperion Nation, usually the present-giver makes known the gift as to receiving accolades. There was also the matter of the name on the label, a name none use but me….and an enemy or two.

Eventually curiosity got the better of me and I opened the book. I thought maybe it was written in code and held, a message just for me. Somewhat disappointingly, this proved not to be the case, but what I found inside more than made up for it.

Owly was a graphic novel, written about this little owl who has adventures. Andy Runton tells his story with pictures; he uses no dialogue or words.

I could spend three paragraphs waxing philosophical about what that means in the artistic sense, the symbolic sense, from paintings on cave walls to Monet to silent films to Mr. Bean. But you don’t want to read that, especially when I can cut straight to the chase. Go to the Owly page on Amazon.com and click on the book cover. You actually get to see the first 14 pages!

I’ll wait.


I assume you’re back. If you didn’t go take a look, I never want to see you again. My sand fleas infest your underwear, and may your significant other cheat on you with a hermaphroditic hooker.

Those of you who did go, are you not in love with Owly? I consider myself a rough and tough guy, so you’ll understand where I’m coming from when I say he’s so cute!!!!

From what I can gather from Andy Runton’s personal website, Owly goes around and has adventures. (Two take place in this book, but there appear to be others, many others.) As you can already tell, Owly is not the menacing barn owl of children’s literature of yore. He’s a sweet sensitive bird, trying to make his way in a cruel world—rife with, I might add—unfair stereotypes about owls. Perhaps a greater message there.

Or perhaps not. I haven’t known too many owls, so I have no idea if they actually bring bird seed to feed, but who cares? Owly does, and that’s all that matters.

Having written a movie script, I know a little bit the difficulties in telling a story without words. And yet in some ways it’s the purest form of storytelling; language and all its hang ups stripped away, until what is left is primal and basic; quite a hoot. (Sorry. In my defense, I think the fact that I’ve refrained from making owl jokes this far in is an accomplishment.)

I am recommending Owly to anyone with a heart. An 8 year old could understand it, an 80 year old would still find great truth. And everyone in between. It’s pretty much the perfect book. I can’t think of a single person who wouldn’t love to read it. We’re talking beyond the perfect gift. I recommend you buy several of them and wrap them up for emergencies. Niece’s Bat Mitzvah? Grandparent’s 50th anniversary? Boss’s birthday? A friend just got dumped? It’s that versatile.

What else is there to say? You are not allowed to say how hard it is to find a present for someone now that I’ve shown you the way. And you’re definitely not allowed to complain how the world is going straight to hell.

Not when there is Owly to make it better.

Hyperion
March 28, 2006

2 comments:

Sea Hag said...

I'm glad you liked it. I will remember to send all future presents without my name on it because that was pretty funny.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Awesome review! Thank you very much for the kind words! Owly and I really appreciate it! ^_^

Take care and thanks again!
-Andy

 

Y I B

Literary Hype is the dream-child of Hyperion, who may or may not be completely insane. We offer original stories, Poetry, Books Reviews, Music Lyrics Analysis and more. (We even have Adult Fiction on a sister site: After Dark Tales.) We hope you find what you are looking for!